Anchored Counseling Services has an extensive collection of miniatures for Sandtray Therapy with adults, pre-teens, teens, couples, and families. Sandtray Therapy is a psychotherapy technique that allows clients to express, unfold, and process internal and relationship issues. The sandtray miniatures and other materials serve as a non-verbal medium of communication. It is a process that seeks to promote safety and control for clients to address emotionally-charged issues.
Sandtray Therapy can be especially powerful for clients with visual, hearing, speech, and physical impairments and for clients suffering from anxiety, depression, trauma, and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Sandtray work can allow access to underlying emotions while providing a safe approach to process these challenging areas.
Recent research in neuroscience has focused on the bilateral hemispheres of the brain: the logic, language, reasoning, and critical thinking that occur in the left brain versus the emotions, creativity, images, colors, and music that predominate in the right brain. Experiential forms of psychotherapy such as Play Therapy, Art Therapy, Music Therapy, and Sandtray Therapy can all lead to the integration of the right and left brain via the bridge known as the corpus callosum.
Sandtray Therapy’s visual, sensory, and creative processes can provide the following benefits:
- Chance to gain control
- Opportunity to identify buried emotional issues/unconscious conflicts
- Ability to repair the fear, frustration, shock, & powerlessness experienced during traumatic events
- Healing through an increased sense of self-control, empowerment, and safety
- Promotion of freedom and growth
- Powerful visual images of solutions, options for change, & hope-filled future